Saturday, November 28, 2015

Update

My hiatus of four months has come to an end. Right before school started back, I had the incredible opportunity to start writing for The Odyssey so that took a good bit of my time and my creative writing juices for a couple of months. Now, the semester is slowing down, I am no longer writing for The Odyssey, so I can come back to my home, and post more. 

Wow, it has been a busy semester. My student internship in the elementary school started July 30th (Yes, you read that correctly... it was still the middle of summer basically), and I have had four amazing months interning in the elementary school. My first placement was with a class of twenty-two of the sweetest third graders you'll ever meet--and no, I'm not biased at all :). I never imagined the love that my heart could have for students older than five years old, and students who were in general education classrooms. The Lord taught me so much through my first placement; He taught me patience, resilience, and best of all, the pure joy of being around children for eight hours every day.


My second placement involved tantrums, snotty noses, and lots of Usher ABCs seriously, go watch the video. It's some of Usher's finest work). That's right, folks, I was in SPED Pre-K for six weeks. Wow did the Lord teach me a lot through that placement as well. My mentor teachers so well prepared me for managing all sorts of wild behavior, but the Lord taught me how to love so fiercely that it didn't matter if a child was wailing in my face and hitting me. Those babies have a special place in my heart and I would teach SPED Pre-K for the rest of my life if that where the Lord had me. 


Through both of these placements, I have had five classes with an insane amount of work to do, but all of the craziness has been preparing me to be the best teacher that I can possibly be. There have been tears, panic attacks, lots of laughs, frustration, hour-long car rides every.single.day, traffic, ranting sessions, microwave struggles, endless amounts of Chick-fil-A and Starbucks, Snapchat stories, and a PDC full of people who I have come to respect immensely. I wouldn't want to go through this program with anyone else, and I know after this semester that I am exactly where I need to be. 


Here's to hoping another four month hiatus will not take place. Until next time! 


"Where I was born and where and how I have lived is unimportant. It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest." -D.L. Moody


Always,


Caroline 



No comments:

Post a Comment