Sunday, April 12, 2015

Remembering God's Faithfulness

"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love Him and keep His commandments, to a thousand generations..."    -Deuteronomy 7:9

This morning was a cool morning for me. I watched my home church's service live stream from my dorm room in D-town, and I got to worship and listen to Zack's sermon. It was Zack's (the former college pastor at the church, the new families ministry director) first time preaching in "big church", and I had in my mind that I was going to watch the service. I had no idea, however, that I was in for a big blessing. 

Zack preached on The Greatest Commandment, from Deuteronomy 6, and at the end of the sermon, he talked about God's faithfulness. He said that if we are in a place of complacency with our faith and with the Lord, then we need to sit down and make a list of ways that God has been faithful to us. Well, I did that, and I realized that there is literally no comparison to the insurmountable ways that the Lord has been faithful to me throughout my entire life. Most of the things that I am about to list will probably not seem that big of a deal to the average person-- I have not survived an incurable disease, God has not brought me out of homelessness or anything super dramatic. But that's what so cool about God's faithfulness. Even in the mundane of our everyday lives, He is constantly blessing us and proving His faithfulness to us, even if we do not realize it! So as you read through my list of the ways God has been faithful to me, I challenge you to make your own list. The reminder of the blessings that the Lord has bestowed upon you will be great. 


  • First and foremost, the Lord has been incredibly faithful in that I grew up in a Christian home with supportive, loving parents who brought me up in ways of the Lord
  • When I think about a time of complacency, I think back to my sophomore and junior years of high school... I wasn't in a place of complacency, I was in a place of outright denial. The Lord was so faithful and so good to bring me out of that place
  • During "the dark years" as I call them, the Lord placed friends in my life. These friends, even if I did not realize it at the time, literally saved my life
  • It was such a blessing that I was referred to a Christian doctor who was able to help me figure my life out 
  • God's continual faithfulness in the people that He placed in my life, very intentionally. My wonderful teacher, and the amazing adults in my church who poured into me got me through high school, and I can't thank God enough for putting those people in my path
  • Even though I was in a better place emotionally when I came to college, the Lord still was faithful in the people that He placed in my life. Shoutout to my small group girls, and my RA and the girls who lived on my hall last year
  • When I thought I would have to endure another year of random roommate, the Lord's faithfulness came through once again and blessed me with an amazing, Godly roommate for this year and it has been awesome! 
  • And as of yesterday, when I was convinced I was going to be living out of my car next year, the Lord has provided an apartment for Carley and I
  • The Lord was faithful in putting people like Zack in our church who preach the truth! 
These are just a few short and sweet examples of God's faithfulness in my life. How has He been faithful in your life?  




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnE_e1LylY (consider the first words of this song... "Great is Your Faithfulness Oh God!")

Always,

Caroline 

No comments:

Post a Comment