Friday, May 1, 2015

Am I really a Junior?

As I sit here in my room back in the 'ville, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about my sophomore year of college. It ended very abruptly and I did not think much about leaving, and I got the heck out of D-Town yesterday without looking back, but now I'm feeling a tad upset. Even though I can move into my apartment in a little over a month, and I'm even going back up for a doctor's appointment next week, it will never be my sophomore year ever again. So, here are my humble reflections and thoughts about my sophomore year, and even some advice for people going into their sophomore year: 

Reflections:

Sophomore year was by far one of the strangest, hardest, and most rewarding years of my life. God blessed me infinitely, and I wouldn't have changed anything about this past year. Well, maybe I would have changed the building I lived in, but that's pretty much it; Lewis was scary, but it's fine. My classes were definitely more difficult in the spring, but they taught me more than I think I will ever realize. I was stressed out because of housing and getting into the Education Program, but both worked out, and I cannot wait to start my placement in the fall in Forsyth County. I strengthened existing friendships, and made more friendships that will last a lifetime. All the friends. I gained some great experience by going through several interviews, I got new leadership positions in two things I'm involved in. Last but not least, my relationship with God was strengthened and I pray that it continues to grow every day. 

Advice:

  • Traditional dorms (especially ones that are almost 80 years old) are scary. Mold, mice, broken kitchen equipment from the RA desk, birds flying in from who-knows-where, dis-functional water pressure, clogged sinks, a laundry room with dryers that don't actually dry anything, loud neighbors with thin walls. It's a great time.
  • No matter how hard you think freshman year is, it's got nothing on sophomore year. So be prepared.
  • Be prepared to be thrown to the wolves when it comes to housing. Better to call 20 properties and ask a lot of questions and deal with scary realtors than to be homeless. 
  • Join organizations. If you never joined anything your freshman year, join something. 
  • On the other hand, do not join a million things if you don't have time. Know what you're capable of, and only do what you know you can do with the amount of time you have. You're all adults. Figure it out.
  • Make connections: get to know your professors, your RA, your hallmates. The more people you know the better time you'll have. 
  • Don't wait until the last minute to do assignments. Because that's just miserable.
  • Realize that people are going to be dumb, people are going to be rude, and people are going to make mistakes. But still have faith in people. 
  • Join a small group or get connected with an on-campus ministry if that's your thing. The more people you have surrounding you encouraging you in your faith, the better. 
  • Find something to interview for. Going through an interview process is super scary but it's great experience for the future. 
  • Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Whether it's making an A, getting a job, joining something, or doing anything. You can do it. 
I pray that for every upcoming sophomore, and every college student in general, that the Lord will bless your time in college. It is the best time of your life, so live it and live it well. 

Always,

Caroline 

"May He give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed." -Psalm 20:4


No comments:

Post a Comment